Court case of Eastbourne man accused of Buckingham Palace trespass delayed

A PLEA hearing for a man accused of trespassing in the grounds of Buckingham Palace days before the Platinum Jubilee celebrations has been delayed.

Prosecutors have been granted more time to gain consent from the Attorney General to pursue a case against Connor Attridge, despite already having had weeks to do so, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard.

The 28-year-old from Eastbourne is said to have told household staff “I want to see the Queen”, after allegedly walking through the vehicle gate of the Royal Mews when it was opened to allow an authorised car through.

He managed to breach the palace boundary by 10ft-16ft (3m-5m) after refusing to stop when challenged on May 29, the court heard in May.

On Tuesday, Attridge, who has a facial tattoo reading “Truly blessed”, appeared in court again via video-link.

The Argus: Undated handout file photo issued by Sussex Police of Connor Attridge, 28, who appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court charged with trespassing on a protected site on May 29. Attridge, 28, allegedly trespassed in the grounds of Buckingham Palace by walking through the vehicle gate of the Royal Mews on Sunday night when it was opened to allow through an authorised car. Issue date: Tuesday May 31, 2022.Undated handout file photo issued by Sussex Police of Connor Attridge, 28, who appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court charged with trespassing on a protected site on May 29. Attridge, 28, allegedly trespassed in the grounds of Buckingham Palace by walking through the vehicle gate of the Royal Mews on Sunday night when it was opened to allow through an authorised car. Issue date: Tuesday May 31, 2022.

Wearing a black sweatshirt, he smoked a cigarette on camera as he waited for the case to be called and addressed the judge as “Mate” when asked to identify himself.

Attridge was expected to enter a plea but the case was instead adjourned after prosecutor Jason Seetal told the court that more time is needed for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to obtain consent from Attorney General Suella Braverman, which is required in cases involving trespass on a protected site.

Shusmita Deb, defending, opposed the adjournment as proceedings had already been put back once for the same purpose and argued that the CPS had “not acted expediently”.

She said there had already been “an unconscionable delay” which had a “significant impact” on Attridge due to mental health problems.

However, Deputy District Judge Robert Brown granted the extra time and released Attridge on bail with conditions, including a curfew monitored by electronic tag and exclusion from London, except to attend court.

The defendant is next due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on July 8.

Attridge’s arrest came amid heightened security around the palace in the run-up to the extended bank holiday to celebrate the Queen’s 70-year reign.

Leave a Comment