Funeral Arrangement for Killed EMT Alison Russo-Elling

Funeral arrangements have been made for veteran FDNY EMT Alison Russo-Elling, who was stabbed to death on Thursday in an unprovoked attack in Queens.

The wake for the 61-year-old first responder will be held Monday and Tuesday at the Commack Abbey Funeral Home in Commack, according to the Long Island funeral home website.

Russo-Elling’s funeral will be held Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Tilles Center, located at 720 Northern Boulevard in Brookville on the LIU Post campus. She will then be privately cremated.

The 25-year-old FDNY veteran and 9/11 rescuer was on duty and had walked half a block from her unit to get something to eat when she was stabbed nearly 20 times near 20th Avenue and 41st Street in Astoria around 2:20 p.m. Thursday.

Suspect Peter Zisopoulos, 34, was shortly after the horrific attack after barricading himself at his nearby apartment, police said.

FDNY EMS Lt.  Alison Russo-Elling.
Russo-Elling was fatally stabbed Thursday afternoon in an unprovoked attack in Astoria.

He was charged Friday with murder and weapons possession.

According to police sources and disturbing video of the incident, Zisopoulos knocked Russo-Elling to the ground, mounted on her and then stabbed her repeatedly.

A witness who had passed by on a scooter confronted the brute, but he snapped, “F–k you, f–k you!” before stepping away from the victim and attacking the man while still holding the bloodied knife, police sources said.

Zisopoulos fled the scene, not leaving Russo-Elling on the ground, according to sources and the video.

The body of EMS Lt.  Alison Russo-Elling was transferred to a funeral home in Commack, Long Island.
Local officials in Commack have raised an American flag outside the Commack Abbey funeral home for Russo-Elling.

Russo-Elling, described by her union as “the sweetest, kindest person you’ve ever met,” was only six or seven months away from retirement, Vincent Variale, president of Local 3621, told reporters outside the hospital where the paramedic died. from her injuries.

She joined the FDNY in March 1998 as an EMT and was promoted to paramedic in 2002 before becoming a lieutenant in 2016.

Leave a Comment