“Down the rabbit hole”! Broadway icon and Frozen star Idina Menzel leave exclusive Us Weekly in on what Badfun facts about herself that even her biggest fans might not know.
Decades before she became a Tony winner or had a huge hit with the Frozen franchise, the actress tried to make a name for herself by singing at various celebrations — and lying about her age.
“I used to [sing] at weddings and bar mitzvahs’, cheerfulness alum tells U.Sand noted that she “lied about my age as a teenager so I could perform.”
After she got her big break in 1995 with the role of Maureen in RentMenzel got married to her costar Taye Diggs in 2003. De enchanted actress’ star was able to take her career to new heights when she went on as Elphaba in Bad and play the part of Elsa in the 2013 Disney animated blockbuster Frozen†
Although Menzel and Diggs divorced in 2014, the two have co-parental 12-year-old son Walker. Though her son is now a preteen, Cinderella star admits U.S that she “still likes”[s] to hold him like a baby when he sleeps.” She also built him the tree house of her dreams – the tree house she “always wanted as a child.”
When she’s not raising her son, relax with her husband Aaron Lohr, or performing, Menzel dreams of her next career move. “My dream duet is with [U2] front man Bono,” she tells U.Sadding that her favorite song to sing in the shower is Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing”.
Keep scrolling for more fun facts about Menzel:
1. I’m actually Dr. Idina Menzel. I have an honorary doctorate in fine arts.
2. I used to do [sing] at weddings and bar mitzvahs.
3. I lied about my age as a teenager so I could perform.
4. My favorite song to sing in the shower is Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing,” sung in the same key.
5. My son, Walker, is 12, but I still like to hold him like a baby when he sleeps.
6. I make a mean pancake.
7. I built the tree house for my son that I always wanted as a child.
8. My favorite movie is The Black Stallion.
9. I’m ambidextrous.
10. I don’t like wet kisses… unless they’re from my dog Louie.
11. I have to have a Diet Coke when I eat popcorn.
12. I have recurring nightmares that I haven’t graduated and my teeth are falling out.
13. My dream duet is with [U2 frontman] Bono.
14. My favorite car is a 1988 baby blue Mercedes convertible.
15. I’m Married [to my husband of four years, Aaron Lohr] in my backyard.
16. The first album I ever owned was the A star is born [soundtrack] by means of Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson†
17. I can fall asleep anywhere.
18. I have no tattoos.
19. I am very competitive.
20. I have to watch what I say at my son’s basketball games.
21. I like breakfast for dinner.
22. I like to dip my buttered bagel in my coffee.
23. I’d rather sit on my couch than on a red carpet.
24. My Favorite TV Show Is The West Wing†
25. I was inspired to design my clothing line, Encore by Idina Menzel, when I realized how good all the other moms were when they left school in the morning.