Man charged following murder of Sydney gangland figure Mahmoud ‘Brownie’ Ahmad

A man has been charged over his alleged role in the murder of a major Sydney gangland figure earlier this year.

A man has been charged over his alleged role in the murder of infamous Sydney gangland figure Mahmoud “Brownie” Ahmad earlier this year.

Ahmad, 39, was gunned down in a hail of bullets about 9.30pm on April 27 in Greenacre after receiving multiple warnings from police that his life was in danger.

Police have now charged a 49-year-old man, who was arrested during a police operation back on May 2, with accessory before the fact to murder and accessory after the fact to murder.

The man had already been charged with drug and criminal group offences after police allegedly seized more than 25kg of methylamphetamine (ice), $200,000 cash and cloned number plates while searching a Wetherill Park home.

The man, who remains before the courts, had the additional charges laid on him last Friday.

Police have previously said Ahmad was a “marked man” and had been warned that he was in danger.

“He continued to associate with people of the criminal milieu and did not want to hide,” homicide squad commander Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said in April.

“His life was always in danger.

“Even up until last week, police were executing foreign execution orders warning them about being associated with ‘Brownie’ Ahmad, that they are in danger and needed to be warned about that.

“He did not want to hide and wanted to carry on his normal criminal activities to deal with the same associates and he has borne the consequences of that.”

The investigation into his death has formed part of ongoing inquiries by Taskforce Erebus, which is examining fatal shootings and criminal activities by organised crime networks across Sydney.

Deputy Commissioner for investigations David Hudson told budget estimates in May that Ahmad‘s death was the 11th gang-related killing to occur in the city’s southwest since the end of 2020.

The 49-year-old man remains in custody and is due to appear at Fairfield Local Court on Wednesday, July 6.

Police will allege in court that he was involved in the planning of Ahmad’s death.

Police investigations under Taskforce Erebus are continuing.

Read related topics:Sydney

Leave a Comment