Last year, I signed up for SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet service, hoping to use it to replace the internet connection used to run Phoronix. After months of using Starlink and performing thousands of benchmarks, Starlink in the Midwest / Chicagoland area has proven reliable, but performance can still be quite unstable, and it was frustrating at first to wait for some Starlink accessories to sent, but the self-service nature and simplicity of the setup was great.
My original goal with Starlink was to replace Comcast’s Internet service with Starlink as my primary Internet connection. Comcast in my area has become more and more unreliable with internet interruptions that have been ticking up lately, Starlink would be a little cheaper (initially $ 99 USD, but prices since raised to $ 110, still better than $ 140 USD for only Comcast’s internet without data ceiling) , and likes the self-service character of the Starlink setup. After months of testing, Starlink is currently expanding my Internet connection to relieve some systems and IoT devices for it and use it as a backup during periods of Comcast downtime. However, at the moment, the speeds have been too unreliable to consistently surpass the Comcast cable internet connection – at least for the US Midwest / Chicagoland area.
After pre-ordering the Starlink set last year, I was informed about availability earlier this year – a quarter earlier than predicted. It was great and the set for $ 599 was quickly shipped out. Unfortunately for the updated Starlink Kit, the router / user terminal base station is only WiFi without Ethernet port. An Ethernet adapter for the Starlink Kit can be purchased separately for $ 25 USD. When I ordered the set, I also ordered the Starlink Ethernet Adapter, Starlink Pipe Adapter, Starlink Short Wall Mount and Starlink Cable Routing Kit without being in doubt about the location. It gave the first headache with availability on the Starlink accessory. Although the Starlink kit has delays in availability understandable with supply chain problems and semiconductor shortages, it was surprising that the Starlink tube adapter and Starlink wall mount kit were not available immediately … At the time of writing, it looks like, four months later. availability may have become easier as Starlink Shop indicates that this accessory is now in stock. Initially, I waited several weeks to try to order different accessories, then cancel the orders when they were not fulfilled within the estimated shipping periods.
Since the wall bracket and pipe adapter were not available at the time after weeks of waiting, I decided to just mount it on the roof of my shed. The slope of the roof is quite shallow, and it has simply been possible to use some layer screws (and roof waterproofing patches) with the standard Starlink base. The Starlink set was easy to drive. The setup was hassle-free, and with the Starlink Android app, it was easy to get everything started. It was a wonderful setup experience and loved the simplicity of the self-installation.
But then the wife did not like that the Starlink dish was visible on the roof …
So after removing it and patching the holes, waiting a while for Starlink’s mounting kit to become available, and after getting tired of waiting, I ended up ordering the Winegard DS2000A Universal 22-inch Mount (Amazon.com, affiliate link). This satellite wall bracket ended up working fine and with no problems mounting the Starlink satellite dish. The mounting on the side of the shed was an ease and the wife preferred the location. I wish I had originally known that the Starlink satellite was compatible with this mount instead of waiting for weeks for Starlink’s official accessories … But now I know, and luckily for new customers it seems, that accessibility has become easier.
Once you had the necessary hardware, the Starlink setup was great and easy. No complaints from that perspective and a pleasure to self-service it without the oversight and burden of having to deal with a utility company. But now for the Starlink show …
Before sealing the outer hole that had been filled with spray foam, and cleaning up.
The wires were then routed into my shed where the Starlink base station / router was connected.