Save Old Growth announces it will no longer stage traffic-disrupting protests

An environmentalist group that has shut down highways with protests calling on the B.C. government to end all old-growth logging says it will resort to other measures to draw attention to its message.

Save Old Growth announced it will “de-escalate disruptive actions” on critical infrastructure like highways and bridges.

“Major traffic disruptions will end today,” the group said in a news release Wednesday. “Other strategies will be used that won’t stop traffic. “We continue to request the Government take urgent steps to permanently protect B.C.’s remaining old growth forests.”

The group says it will use tactics like public outreach and events to get its message across.

The about-face from the group comes after a Courtenay woman proposed a class-action lawsuit against protesters over the various highway blockades, many of which have occurred on Vancouver Island.

Tamara Meggitt, an organizer for Clear the Road, said earlier this month her family has been involved in the forestry industry for years and they’ve been impacted negatively by the demonstrations.

Protesters recently took other avenues to gain attention, including gluing themselves to goalposts at BC Place Stadium during a Canada-Curacao soccer game and dumping manure outside of Premier John Horgan’s MLA constituency office.

Editorial Policies

Report an Error

Leave a Comment